In the quest for more power I have run several kinds of motors. I have had a few bug motors, a corvair and a couple water pumpers. The simplest and cheapest so far is the 2.3 liter ford four cylinder. I have been running a pinto for a couple years now and am in the process of installing a 1986 Turbo Coupe T-Bird engine. Since I have already had a pinto engine in the car some of the steps have already been done. -MJ
The first step was to get an engine. My first engine came out of a '81 Pinto with 45K miles on it. It had a Holley 350 carb and a custom header that I built with a Supertrapp spark arrestor.
Out with the old, and in with the new!!
One day while minding my own business I came across a rolled t-bird with a newly rebuilt engine. It was well on it's way to becoming one with the tree it was sitting next to so I knocked on the door and offered to tow it away for $50.00 (you gotta start somewhere). I ended up paying $100.00 and a short case of some nasty beer (I think it was Hamms). I drug the thing home and stripped out the engine and the entire wiring harness and everything it was connected to. I did not know what I needed for the Fuel Injection so I took it all.
I cleaned up the engine and installed the Esslinger Engineering adaptor that I had. The adaptor came with all of the hardware and installation instructions. The kit was very complete, and all the parts had a very good fit and finish. A friend has the Kennedy adaptor and it too is a good kit but for the Ford engines Esslinger kit is much cheaper.
I also installed a Kennedy 2100# pressure plate and super disk. I found that the stock clutch did not last long against the Pinto engine, so for the turbo I knew I needed to step up a notch.
The fuel injection required two fuel lines from the tank to the engine with one of them being high pressure. For the feed line from the fuel pump to the engine I used some 5/16" brake line with the 5/16" high pressure rubber fuel line for the connections on either end. The hard line was run along the tunnel from under the tank to just above the tranny. For the fuel return line I used the stock bug fuel line.
The tank required another fitting to be installed for the second line. I opted to use the original smaller fitting for the return and installed a 3/8" fitting for the feed. For this I used a plastic 3/8" barbed fitting with pipe threads. A hole was drilled into the bottom of the tank and the fitting installed with plastic weld. Plastic weld is an epoxy-like glue that melts the plastic slightly then hardens making the two pieces act as if they were one.
After hooking up the sensors I needed I was able to go through the harness and remove the excess. There were a number of plugs and extra wires that I did not need so they went in the pile.
The final Wiring Diagram for the electronic fuel injection looks something like this.
Took the bug for a drive and that thing gets up and goes! The bottom end is good but when that turbo kicks in there is a huge surge in power. I need to do some final adjustments to get it to run good, then I will look into some performance improvements.
For problems or questions regarding this web contact