As you can see here I now have what is the base of my pan. It fits the
bug body perfectly.
I now have to figure out how to get the rear torsion attached to the center
section of the pan.
I have seen in many publications to use cardboard to make a template.
Well that idea worked great here. I simply cut out a general shape and
transferred it to the metal. Then with the plasma cutter, a straight edge,
and a thin piece of tube (used as guides), I was able to cut out the pieces from
a single piece of 3/16", reducing the amount of scrap.
With the pieces set up on the pan/torsion bar, I simply clamped in place and
welded them in. To keep from causing thermal torsion or pulling on the
parts, I welded it in sections opposite sides of each other with ample cooling
time in between.
For the back of the horns, I had some scrap pieces of 1/4" thick
material that was already the shape I wanted. I just added a notch at the
ends, and a slight bend to them to follow the contour of the horns. I then
welded both sides from top to bottom, and completely to the torsion bar. I
was thinking that I might need to add more material to the horns, but after
placing the transaxle on the horns, and then actually sitting my 200+ lb butt on
the transaxle, with my feet off the floor, it made the center of the pan bow
about 1/4", and I have not even added anything to that yet. I will
also be adding bars from the roll cage down to the horns on both sides to help
Jump to Page ,1 ,2
,3 ,4 ,5
,8 ,9 ,10 ,11 ,12 ,13